Friday, July 18, 2008

Our Nauvoo Trip

Dan and I had a special opportunity to take last weekend to see Nauvoo. What a wonderful time we had. First things first...we forgot our camera so we will have to wait for picture copies from Jenny and Tom. I promise to post more photos then but in the meantime I wanted to take this time while it was so fresh on my mind to share some of the highlights of the trip. The first night we were there we saw the pageant. I really enjoyed the music in it. It even jerked a few tears. The next morning we made the trip to Carthage to see the jail. Gordon and Margret took us through on our own special family tour. We then went back to Nauvoo to do a session in the temple. After the temple we walked through some of the shops to pick out a few gifts for the kids. We then went to a show "Sunset on the Mississippi", where Gordan and Margret performed. The Missionaries do such a great job. It was a lot fun to watch. After the show we walked down the Trail of Hope and watched the sunset on the river. The next day we toured all the sites we could fit it. John Taylors home, The Scovil Bakery, The Gun shop, etc...we saw a lot of them but still need to return for another visit to see the rest. Maybe when the kids are older. The weekend was amazing! Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. The spirit is beautiful there in Nauvoo and I'm so thankful I got a chance to take it all in. You can tell by the feeling you get as you walk through the sites that the members then were so strong and were blessed with strength to withstand the persecution. It makes me wonder it I have the strength they had. Probably not, but it gives me incentive to work hard and to stay strong in the gospel. I know it's true.

2 comments:

Cynthia's Blog said...

We went when Christina was barely 3. We need to get back. Maybe next year!

PJMcD said...

You don't know me but I saw the Temple while I was Blog surfin' and had to chime in.I am a member of the Greenwood ward in Seattle. You probably didn't have the kind of strength the pioneers posessed, and that's why you were born in the time you were. But then again those people were probably not spiritually equipped to like in this time when satan and his crew are so rampant. The Lord knows your strengths and will place you in the situations where you can excellspiritually and do the most good to build up Zion. You have a great looking family,train up those children.My wife and I went to Nauvoo last year and it was inspiring.Mormon on.